+64 4 472 2199
The original Kelburne & Karori Tramway Company formed in 1898, was sold to the Wellington City Council in 1947 and was incorporated into the City's passenger transport operations. In 1991 with the deregulation of the bus industry, the council sold its bus and trolleybus operations to the Stagecoach Group. The cable car and overhead trolley-bus wire network however, remained in Council ownership and Wellington Cable Car Limited was formed as a Council Controlled Organisation. The business has 2 distinct operations one operating and maintaining the cable car which since 2007 includes all the Operational staffing, and the other, Traction Services managing the infrastructure for the overhead trolleybus network.