A fantastic way to take in Wellington's breathtaking views is with a quick 5-minute ride on the Wellington Cable Car. Departing from the city centre, the Cable Car transports you to Kelburn, where you can explore the Botanic Gardens, the fascinating Cable Car Museum (admission free!), and Space Place. Plus, Zealandia is easily accessible via a brief complimentary shuttle ride. Discover all the essential details, from ticket prices and schedules to invaluable tips, to ensure your experience is nothing short of spectacular.
CRUISE SHUTTLE INFORMATION
- Free shuttles run continuously between the port and the drop-off point at 77 Lambton Quay, outside the old government buildings
- Passengers on an organised tour, booked with the ship, will be picked up at the port. Follow the instructions of your driver throughout the day
- Ask your cruise ship staff what time the last shuttle back to the ship will be leaving
- We are located at 280 Lambton Quay at the end of Cable Car Lane
- 700 meters and a 10-minute walk away from the cruise shuttle drop-off
- Landmarks to find us are the Countdown Supermarket and the Cable Car model sign
TICKETS AND TIMETABLE
The Cable Car operates continuously during busier cruise periods, with cars departing every 5-10 minutes. Once onboard, you will take a 5-minute journey up the hill to reach the summit.
To skip the queue, purchase your tickets online here. We recommend pre-downloading on a mobile device before arrival as there is no free WIFI in Cable Car Lane or in our terminals. Your ticket will have a unique QR code to be scanned flat down on the entry gate scanners. Each QR code is for one person only.
Return tickets - $11
- Catch the Cable Car up to Kelburn
- Admire the view and visit attractions such as the free Cable Car Museum and Space Place
- In your own time, return on the Cable Car back to Lambton Quay
One-way tickets - $6
- Catch the Cable Car up to Kelburn
- Take an approximately 40-minute walk down through the Botanic Gardens. Check out the Gardens map here.
- Finish just round the corner from the shuttle pick-up point
Tickets are available to purchase on the day from the ticket office at our Lambton Quay Terminal, end of Cable Car Lane. Queues can be up to 40 minutes long to purchase a ticket.
Senior & Student Discounts
- New Zealand SuperGold card holders are free during off-peak travel periods, all-day weekends and public holidays. Skip the queue and scan your card SuperGold card directly at the gates. See the full range here: Cable Car timetable & fares
- Student Tickets are available for purchase after providing a valid New Zealand student ID
PAYMENT AND CURRENCY
- Eftpos, AMEX and Credit (Visa, Mastercard, Unionpay and Alipay) facilities are available at Lambton Quay Terminal only.
- Cash payments are also available (New Zealand currency only)
RECOMMENDED LOCATIONS AND ATTRACTIONS
From the Cruise Shuttle drop-off point:
- Te Papa Tongarewa and Tākina, a 20-minute walk along the waterfront
- Wellington Museum, a 10-minute walk along the waterfront
- Beehive & Parliament Buildings are directly across the street
- iSite, a 15-minute walk
From the top of the Cable Car:
- Cable Car Museum (Free), Cable Top Eatery, Victorian Perfumery,
- Botanic Gardens are all directly outside the terminal
- Space Place is a 1-minute walk just past the entrance of the Botanic Gardens.
- Zealandia has a free shuttle departing from the top of the Cable Car. See the timetable here: Zealandia Shuttle Timetable
- Souvenirs can be purchased from the Cable Car ticket office
- A wider range of Cable Car and Wellington keepsakes can also be purchased inside the Cable Car Museum or online here.
- Find more information about accessibility here: Cable Car Accessibility
- Restrooms are situated at the summit of the Cable Car. If you're at Lambton Quay, you can find public toilets opposite Cable Car Lane, along Grey Street near the bank. Find a map here: Public Toilet Map
Wellington City Ambassadors
- Look out for the Wellington City Ambassadors, who can help with extra information or any queries
- Ambassadors can be found at the port, Cable Car Lane, Cable Car Lookout, and other tourist destinations around Wellington
- For convenience to the Cable Car, the excellent Cable Top Eatery offers a wide range of delicious food and drink
- Wellington is known for its excellent coffee. Check out a few of our favourite spots here: Wellington Coffee Spots
- In the case of an emergency call 111
- Wellington Cable Car: 04 472 2199
- CentrePort: 04 495 3800
- iSite Vistior Information: 04 802 4806